Light dimmers are incredibly useful in both indoor and outdoor contexts. Inside, dimmer switches allow you to adjust lighting depending on how bright the natural light is in a room at any given moment. Outside, waterproof dimmers with remote controls are perfect for setting the mood for any outdoor living space.
There are two primary types of dimmers we’ll explore in this article: dimmers with remote controls and dimmer switches. Dimmers with remote controls are particularly convenient outside because you can control them from a distance, although they can be used in indoor applications as well. Dimmer switches look like traditional light switches but include dimming functionality, which allows you to adjust your light brightness simply by pressing on the switch.
Despite what you might think, it’s not difficult to install dimmers and switches, especially the ones offered by DEKOR®. In the following sections, we’ll walk through exactly how to install the two types of dimmers mentioned above.
How to Install Dimmers on a Light Switch
If you want dimmable indoor lighting, installing dimmer switches is the best and easiest way to get it. DEKOR®’s EZ Wireless Dimmer Switch is a convenient wireless wall switch, available as a kit with a receiver included or just the switch.
And yes, you read that right: this dimmer switch is wireless. No complicated wiring set-ups here: just screw the switch to an existing junction box or nearly any wall surface. You’ll need the receiver to operate the switch; it connects to a transformer with a cable, then plugs into an outlet. The receiver is teachable, so you can control your dimming settings.
Install Your Light Switch
Follow these steps to install and wall mount the light switch.
- Link the light switch to the receiver before mounting it on the wall. Make sure the light switch is within 16 feet of the receiver when linking. Press the rocker of the light switch while the receiver is in link mode. Then activate by pressing the rocker again after the receiver has been connected and is no longer in link mode.
- Choose your installation method: screw surface mount, adhesive surface mount, or switch box mount.
- Screw surface mount: If necessary, drill pilot holes into the wall. Attach the backplate to the wall with suitable screws (not included). Add the switch to the back plate with included 6 x 3/8″ screws. Then attach the faceplate with included screws.
- Adhesive surface mount: Add the switch to the back plate with included 6×3/8″ screws. Attach the faceplate with included screws. Apply adhesive tape to the back plate of the switch and affix it to the wall.
- Switch box mount: You will not need the back plate for this installation. Attach the switch into the screw holes on the switch box using the included 6-32 x 3/4″ screws. Then attach the faceplate with included faceplate screws.
Teach the Receiver
There are two parts to the installation process for dimmer switches because your dimmer won’t work without a properly installed receiver. The receiver allows you to teach your dimmer switch your preferred settings. Follow these steps to install the receiver.
- Make sure the receiver is linked to your light switch (see step 1 for “Install Your Light Switch”).
- Determine how you want to program your receiver. There are 4 different learn modes, which will help determine what kind of movement will turn your lights on and off (press and release vs. press and hold) and will also set the dimming functionality. Find out more about the learn modes in our full installation guide here.
- Once you determine your desired learn mode, press “LRN” on your receiver with a pen for 0.5 seconds, then release. This will put you in Learn Mode 1.
- If you wish to enter a different learn mode, press the “LRN” button again and hold for 3 seconds. This should put you in Learn Mode 2. Repeat this step if you wish to enter other learn modes.
- From here, you can “teach” the transmitter by pressing the switch according to the instructions for your designated learn mode. The light bulb should blink according to the pattern outlined in the installation guide (linked above).
- To exit configuration mode, simply wait 30 seconds. If you wish to clear your configuration, press the “CLR” button with a pen for several seconds until the light begins to blink.
How to Install Remote Control Dimmers
(Alt text: DEKOR® EZ Waterproof Low Voltage / LED Dimmer with Teachable Remote)
If you’re looking for an easy-to-install dimmer that doesn’t require a light switch, the EZ Waterproof Dimmer with a Teachable Remote is ideal for outdoor use. DEKOR® also offers a dimmer with a remote designed specifically for indoor use.
Installing remote control dimmers is often just a matter of connecting the dimmer to your lights and a power supply. Let’s walk through the instructions for installing the EZ Waterproof Dimmer, including how to program the teachable remote. This is assuming you already have your DEKOR® lights selected and ready to plug into the power supply.
- Attach the male end of the cable to the output of the DEKOR® transformer.
- Attach the female end to the transconnect cable included with the transformer.
- Connect the transformer to a 120V AC outlet protected by a GFI circuit.
To teach the remote:
- Unplug the transformer from the wall outlet.
- Press and hold the up and down arrow buttons on the remote at the same time.
- Plug the transformer into the wall outlet (you should see the connected lights flash).
- Release the up and down arrow buttons on the remote.
- Press the power button on the remote.
- Test all functions.
Find Your Next Dimmer With DEKOR®
It’s never been easier to install dimmable and adjustable lighting. All of the dimmers mentioned in this article can be installed in minutes by anyone: no need for a lighting professional to come into your home. For DEKOR®’s full selection of dimmers, switches, timers, and other accessories, see our offerings here.
And if you’re looking for a way to control the lights in your house remotely, our DEKORKONNECT™ WiFi Light Controller is the perfect solution. Create zones, set schedules, and dim your lights all from the Bond Home app on your phone.